Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another 'Hall of Fame' Nearby?

A few weeks ago, as we traveled across Hwy 190, I saw a building. I couldn't remember having seen it before, and I couldn't believe what the sign actually said.

How could I have missed the Zydeco Hall of Fame all this time!?! Then I took a closer look at the building. Hmmm....really? Really? THIS is a Hall of Fame??

I came home and did a bit more research into this building in the middle of nowhere with such a grand claim to fame. Ends up it's not any official Hall of Fame, but it is somewhat famous around here with zydeco music folks. The building, originally named Richard's Club, opened July 4, 1947 as a dance hall by Eddie Richard. Some family dispute caused it to shut down in 2006, and the building was bought, renovated, and reopened on August 8, 2008, under a new name~ Zydeco Music Hall of Fame. For more information, you can visit their website. http://www.thezydecohalloffame.com/

Now I know not to call and find out how much tickets are to get in and take a tour of the history of Zydeco music!

1 comment:

DavidPulling said...

"Zydeco" is a linguistic corruption of the French "Les haricots." In other words, "green beans." The term applies broadly to Southwest La. Creole culture and music. Richard's Club is a monument to the "Zydeco" tradition (although it's really nothing more than a cheesy/sleazy night club).