Thursday, October 2, 2008

New Orleans Trip~ Part 4

Finally. The coffee and beignets! Isn't that what everyone goes to New Orleans for?! Now, I know there are some beignet places that have opened in the New Orleans area. I'm sure they are good. I've even eaten at a few of them, but really...nothing beats eating a beignet at the original Cafe du Monde.


Here they are (word of caution to folks trying to lose weight, allergic to sugar, or diabetic)~

Note the glasses of water in the picture. They aren't really for drinking, but we use them to dowse a bit of clean water on our hands and use a napkin to clean up and dry off after we are covered in the white powdered sugar.

The beignets are good, but it's the atmosphere that adds to the experience in a way that you either love it or hate it. I know that if the guy isn't standing at the entrance singing acapella and occasionally blowing on his trumpet, then the beignets may just not taste as good that day.

It wouldn't be Cafe du Monde without a little "jump" to get the table you want as soon as it empties and the waiters/waitresses that come and take your order (which consists of how many orders you want and a drink~ milk, water, or cafe au lait). Do you think they would let me have one of these hats to wear around the house when I get an envie for New Orleans!?

From under the green and white striped canopy, you can sit back and take in the sights and sounds of the French Quarter.

And, just a friendly reminder~

3 comments:

Nana said...

Think I'll skip being a Pink Lady at the hospital today and run across the Causeway to Cafe du Monde!!

MIgirls said...

I DO have an unused Cafe Du Monde hat you can have....if you just ask - they'll give! :-)
I love the sounds, sights and smells of that place! Aren't you glad that is part of our "childhood-home"...and not just adopted by us as a visitor??? I think that is so cool!

Payton's mom said...

Oh what good memories! It's one of Zach and I's favorite places. Make sure you have cash though they don't take credit cards, but no worries there is an ATM right down the street. We know all about that, lol! I can't wait to take Payton :)