Sunday, September 28, 2008

New Orleans Trip~ Part I

We love New Orleans. Not all of it, but most of it. It's been part of my childhood as long as I can remember. We would visit the grandparents twice a year, make the drive into the city, walk through the French Quarter, eat beignets, and make the ride back home. As newlyweds, my husband and I were fortunate enough to live in New Orleans for 3 years while we both worked on our graduate degrees. (I have an M.Ed in Special Education from the University of New Orleans, and he has an M.Div in Biblical Studies from New Orleans Theological Seminary.)

Over the weekend we had the opportunity to meet up with the in-laws for a day in New Orleans. I captured most of our trip on film, so you can either re-live your visits to the Big Easy or be introduced to New Orleans for the first time.

The trip always begins on the Northshore. Well not always, but I can't think of too many trips I've ever made to New Orleans that didn't involve riding on the bump, bump, bumpy Causeway over Lake Ponchartrain. It is a 24 mile long bridge, which claims to be the longest bridge in the world. I could have taken a LOT of pictures in the span of 24 miles.



At this point, it feels like it might take forever to get across the 24 miles. The bumping is so monotonous, but soothing at the same time.


The day was absolutely beautiful!



Then you can see it, through the fog.....an outline of a city. It sort of makes your mouth start watering for a good po-boy or some red beans and rice and some beignets when you see it.

The end of the bridge is in sight. Fair warning~ there are almost always cops down at the end of the Causeway to make sure you slow down to the 35 mph the signs demand of you.

New Orleans Trip~ Part 2 coming Monday or Tuesday morning.

2 comments:

Nana said...

I could feel the bumpity, bump, bump, bump as I read the blog!!! Maybe it's because I've been there/ done that since I was 10!!!!

MIgirls said...

I can remember the bumpity, bump while sitting in the middle of the front seat with Mawmaw filing her nails...and then mine. :-)