Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ok, I Lied

I did take my camera, and I did take pictures on our little daytrip to Washington where nothing was open.

We came across the Magnolia Ridge Plantation, which was built by Captain Louis Prescott and used by Union and Confederate forces during the Civil War. There is a 5 mile paved path to walk on the grounds of the 60 acre piece of land. It is still a private residence, so you can walk around but not go inside any of the houses.
We walked the path. Not all 5 miles.

Then we saw it. A bunny? A possum? No. A real, live, breathing, rooting armadillo!

I was telling someone that evening about seeing a REAL, ALIVE armadillo and that just seemed like no big deal. Well, for me, the only armadillo I've ever seen is dead on the side of a road. I just figured that's how they come in Florida~ roadkill.

This little guy (or girl?) let us get about 2 feet away from him. It was worth the drive!!

Check out the shiny worm right by his mouth here.

I'd always heard that armadillos have leprosy on their nose. Anyone else ever hear that growing up?? I don't BELIEVE it now, but I sure did when I was a little kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen live armadillos here, but not if the dogs see them first (yuck!). I never heard about them having leprosy.

Ominous Rain said...

I spotted it! :)