Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Embarrassment and Shame, but Keeping It Real

Rice is a big deal around here. Many of the crawfish ponds are turned into rice fields based on the agricultural seasons, which I don't pretend to completely understand or follow...but I'm trying to learn!

Folks grow rice. Folks harvest rice. Folks eat rice.

It's a way of life.

Oh yeah, and folks buy rice. LOTS of it.

That's the rice piled up in a regular store....not a bulk shopping place, not a Sam's or a Costco. These must be 20 or 25 lb. bags.
(This is completely new to me to see that much rice for sale.)


This is the size bag of rice you buy when you are going to make 800 servings of jambalya. There are FIVE of these 50 lb. bags. I walked by these bags and my mouth fell open in awe. The people around me didn't even take a second glance at a bag of rice that large.

Now for the "keeping it real" part.....I am a bit ashamed to admit this. Just keep in mind, I haven't lived here a year yet.....
THIS is the kind of rice I buy.


Yes....it's instant. Yes....it's not even a pound box. Yes....it only takes 5 minutes to cook.
The final confession~ I still make potatoes....a lot!

2 comments:

MIgirls said...

Hey - check out Pioneerwomen Cooks - she just posted a really great looking potatoe recipe! (We'll be trying it tonight with some leftover roast I'm going to turn into barbecue stuff!).
And just last night I opened up the box of instant rice - cooked two cups worth (we still have leftovers)......We would never make it with 25 pounds of rice in the kitchen....but I do have about 100 pounds of wheat berries in the school room that gets used! :-)

Activities Coordinator said...

That's it for you, sister! They'll kick you out of the state now, for sure!