Friday, January 30, 2009

The Chicken Chasing Holiday

During Christmas you can see various yard decorations to celebrate the season. The decorations give insight into what the people are excited about~ Santa coming in his sleigh, the ideas of reindeer on your rooftop, stockings hung, giant gifts, the nativity, the shining star of Bethlehem, etc.

Mardi Gras is coming, and the decorations show what a lot of folks are excited about~ chasing chickens.

This whole chicken chase thing is new to me! I lived in New Orleans. I went to parades. I caught beads, dubloons, and plastic cups. I thought I knew what Mardi Gras was about.

I was wrong. This is a different Mardi Gras experience than I have known.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't show these pics to Jenn...some summer days she feels just like the "guy"/gnome???? in the picture!
:-)
Lisa

Ashley Bourque said...

It was new to me also when we first moved here. The Mardi Gras ran right in front of my parents house up until a couple of years ago. It was great fun to sit on the front porch aned watch people make fools of themselves!

MIgirls said...

I've done that before....(more than once) ha ha ha :)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

So many people think they know what mardis gras is all about and are pretty clueless! Grew up waiting for the riders to come by on "Fat Tuesday" Miss those days! Hope you enjoy a true mardis gras!