Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Cajun Staple

As I've explained before in this blog (here), rice is a big deal. This importance of rice leads to many dishes which feature rice, but none are as common as rice dressing. It's a cajun staple.
Rice dressing is made as the alternative to mashed potatoes. Rice dressing is served at the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. Rice dressing is served at any meal that doesn't already involve rice in some other way (etouffee or sauce piquant or rice and gravy).
I brought home some rice dressing from the Thanksgiving meal we had at church this past week. I would take a picture of some that I have made, but (keeping it real here folks) I haven't made it yet....

I have heard rice dressing is easy to make. You can buy a dressing mix (like the container below) in the fridge/freezer section of any grocery store, cook it, and mix with rice. I'm sure this is good stuff~ I trust the lady on the carton!

Our family has found that we really enjoy a good rice dressing (and not all rice dressing is equal), but we aren't having any with our Thanksgiving meal. I confess~ we'll be having a choice of cornbread dressing and mash potatoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I confess, we will be having a traditional cornbread stuffing. It's all Todd's fault for being raised in Texas for so many years!

Nana said...

You're having cornbread stuffing and mashed taters because you were born on the EAST SIDE of the Mississippi River and reared in Florida!
HOWEVER, for our Thanksgiving Mamaw IS making rice dressing to go with the cornbread stuffing, BUT hers will have rice and OYSTERS!!!

Gregg, Mandi, Lucie, Griffin, Drew and Caleb said...

it's funny ~ as I was reading this post I was eating rice dressing for breakfast! :)