Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Slaughterhouse

We passed this place on our first tour of the town~ nearly a year ago. I remember thinking...that is the funniest thing ever. I never lived by a real slaughterhouse before. Then we had some pork steaks from this same slaughterhouse, and we were hooked! Evidently on Saturday mornings there's a line of folks buying up boudin for breakfast and meat to bbq later in the day. I haven't actually made it there myself on a Saturday morning (or any other time). I think I might need someone familiar with how it all works to show me the ropes the first time or two. The best thing about the Superette Slaughter House is hearing the folks talk about it~ with the cajun accent. I love that!

Oh, and is that a really short cow? Or a pig with a big cow-like body? Or a mutant cow-pig animal that grows here in Louisiana?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember getting our meat at the slaughterhouse in Branch. As a matter of fact, we rarely bought meat from the grocery store (in the days before red meat was bad for you). I also remember butchering a pig and chickens at my uncle's house. Oh, and we got our eggs from the hen house in the backyard!

Ominous Rain said...

O.K. I think evthat post everything is fine in that post except for tanthe mutant cow. Just not right! I think it's a ninja cow!!! I know you think I'm crazy, but think about it. The most relient things always turn on you!!! Trust me!