Sunday, February 15, 2009

Small Business


This guy was set up across the road from the cows/barn I posted last week. I haven't seen too many shrimp salesmen set up like this around town. My first experience with a shrimp salesman came only a few weeks after moving here. A man with a very thick cajun accent knocked on my door and held up a little container with 3-4 shrimp in it. "You wanna buy some shrimp, chere?" he said. WHAT? Totally caught me off guard.

I passed on that opportunity and then made some phone calls and found out that the door to door shrimp salesman is a real, valid (in most cases) thing. Unfortunately, I've never cooked shrimp myself so it doesn't do a whole lot of good for me to buy it....from a store, from a tent, or from the door to door salesman.

3 comments:

DavidPulling said...

I can't believe you've never cooked shrimp! With your Louisiana roots? With all those years in FLorida? (They do have Floridian shrimp, n'est-ce pas??). You'll have to get your mom or MawMaw or Sarah to share a recipe with you.

Anonymous said...

I bought shrimp before...from a man who had set up shop from the back of his truck. He said the signs...the "goods"...and since I had seen Mawmaw & Mom do this before...I went for it! Now..this was in Orlando, Florida....and I had never deheaded shrimp all alone before...but it was an adventure that took me back to my roots! :-)

Camera Clicker said...

...it's true....
I've never cooked shrimp or made a gumbo of any sort.
Maybe I need to move to Wyoming or something!?!?